Is it really 2017? Already?
Okay so I admit that I am a week late to realizing it's actually a new year. I mean it's not like I've been writing 2016 on my checks or anything, but I haven't really been ready to do that whole new year-new you-reassess last year's thing yet. Until now. Truthfully, I'd say it hit me on the 6th, but it still took me a couple of days to actually put finger to keyboard, but who cares? I'm here now, better late than never.
It seems like the general consensus on 2016 is THANK GOD IT'S OVER. I always kind of feel that at the end of a year, but I also acknowledge that 2016 was a bitch for a lot of people. I think many of us did a LOT of growing last year (me too), and we all know growth isn't comfortable. But for me, well, 2016 was also the year I got to put a ring on it and lock down my Hubs forever, so in spite of losing David Bowie and Prince, I'm always going to love 2016. But let's not look backwards, let's talk about what I'm into for 2017.
First off, along with getting hitched, I finally got this blog off the ground last year! Yeah! For me, job #1 in 2017 is to keep this crazy-train on the rails. I have a lot to learn about how to make a blog happen, and I'm grateful some of you are coming along for the ride. Anyway, onto the resolutions:
2017 MEANS THIS:
- Make more pie. I love pie, and I didn't make a single one last year.
- Wake up earlier - 2016 was my sleep as much as you want year, and while I know in my heart it's what I needed last year, this year I want to work on rising earlier and getting more done in the AM. For me sleeping is related to a compromised adrenal issue I have been working on. I haven't really gotten into that here, but I suspect I will...
- Getting more comfortable with sharing myself in pictures. Because on my health issues, I experienced some considerable weight gain in 2015, and I am still learning to be okay with were I am right now, in this moment, and not beating myself up about it. Suddenly I stopped taking pictures of myself, and I certainly wasn't sharing them with the world, so, I'm resolving right here, right now to keep getting over this issue. On a related note, I am thinking about collapsing my personal and food Instagram accounts into one account.
- Aggressive, concentrated self-care. Yes, you read that right. I started some really good habits last year, and I intend to keep it up and expand the list of what I am doing to really take care of me. My friend Deva in Santa Fe has a little post-it on her bathroom mirror that says, "Self care is self love." This is my mantra for 2017. This list includes, but is not limited to washing my hair more often, building a more consistent skin care routine, and drinking 8 glasses of water per day. I think I am going to do the Luminous Beauty 21 Days of Self Care Course.
- Organizing all the things I brought here when I moved my life in March of 2015 into a matrix that makes sense for 2017. For instance: Putting up the clothes that don't fit my body right now until they do again; figuring out a better way to keep my tiny home (especially my kitchen) in tip top Tetris shape; cleaning out the garage, putting the bits of my work kit I'm not currently using on ice; getting rid of all the old spices and grains that should either get eaten or turned into bath salts or something (can you make a good body scrub out of ancient dried chickpeas and 2 old bottles of smoked paprika? Let's find out!). You get the idea. After 2 years here I know better what I need at my fingertips.
- Bullet Journaling. Here's my favorite BuJo blog.
- Get into some good creativity habits, like maybe do some hand lettering drills, or get those embroidery skills polished up again.
I think my word for 2017 is CONSISTENCY.
I would like to do all of the things I already do, just with more consistency. Meditate, got to bed on time, wash my face, eat in a timely fashion, bake pies, etc. Just do it more often. I think a lot of this is about that thing on SELF-LOVE.
So, Here's to you, guys! Let's eat pie and live on a schedule. And if you already do those things, you can just cheer me on while I fumble through figuring it all out.
Happy New Year! (finally).