Hello everyone! I'm super excited to finally get this blog train running on the rails, and I just wanted to reach out and say hi! in some official kind of way, and to let loose with my first, drumroll please...
link round-up rodeo!
- It was some wise words from one of the co-creators of Cherry Bombe Magazine that pushed me to blog. Cherry Bombe is a beautiful high quality print magazine about women in food. Their podcast, Radio Cherry Bombe is also awesome. They're having a really good sale on their yearly subscription right now - almost half off!
- Speaking of podcasts, I'm really into this webseries on race, culture, and food and done by The Sporkful.
- In about 48 hours I go to Florida to help run this big giant yoga and meditation retreat. It's twice a year, and always a ton of craziness and fun. The high point is 3 days of group meditating over the Winter Solstice - Imagine getting high on your own breath with close to 1,000 people! (And that's just the winter event! Double that for summer version). While there, I eat an Ayurvedic mono-diet. So, yeah, no fun cooking 'til Christmas Eve.
- Don't worry, I have a few aces up my sleeve for while I'm away, but RN I wish I could be geeking out on gingerbread houses by actually making one. If you want to make your own gingerbread house, you can use this My Name is Yeh post, like i did when I had to make a mega gingerbread house x3 for TV last year.
- I am really into popcorn. Like, the only Christmas present I asked my husband for was an all metal Whirley Pop levels-of-into-it. Here’s a post on Food 52 that got me RULLY excited and describes the exact way I go about popcorn snacking. They had me at Ranch Dressing mix.
- I kind of hate traveling now that I’m old-ish, and I don’t sleep well anymore without white noise and some breeze. Hubs got me this fan for my upcoming trip, because I dare not take this other one he got me (that I am so deeply obsessed with it hurts) from home.
- I finally watched this British police procedural called River. It came out a year ago on Netflix, and it stars people I really like - Alexander Skarsgård's dad, Stellan Skarsgård, and Nicola Walker. Took me a second to get into it, but ERMAGERD, I binged it like a mad woman once I got sucked in.
- I know I said that all I wanted for Christmas was a popcorn popper, but actually I also want to go to North Carolina to take baking classes with Smoke Signals bread, pie, and pizza doyenne Tara Jensen. Check out her Instagram feed here.
- I’m currently nerding out on all things New Orleans history by reading Hubert Asbury’s The French Quarter. He’s the guy that wrote Gangs of New York. It’s non-fiction and it’s AWESOME. Mental note: read all the Hubert Asbury history books.
- Because we’re on the combined topics of history and holidays, and the holidays naturally remind me of molasses, I keep thinking about one of my favorite can you believe this thing really happened things. I bet you didn’t know about the Great Molasses Flood of 1919.